peach and raspberry meringue tart
- 12 sheets filo (phyllo) pastry, thawed
- 100g unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup (110g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 tablespoons caster (superfine) sugar, extra
- ¼ cup (90g) honey
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
- 800g peaches, halved, stones removed and cut into 1cm-thick slices
- 250g fresh raspberries
- 225ml eggwhites (approximately 6 eggs), at room temperature
- 1½ cups (330g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1½ teaspoons white vinegar
- Preheat oven to 140°C (275°F).
- Brush 1 sheet of filo with butter and sprinkle with ½ tablespoon of sugar. Top with another sheet and repeat with the remaining butter, sugar and pastry, finishing with a layer of sugar. Line a lightly greased 24cm x 36cm Swiss roll tin with non-stick baking paper and line with the filo stack.
- Bake for 20–25 minutes or until light golden+. Set aside.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over high heat. Add the extra sugar, the honey, vanilla seeds and peaches and cook, stirring frequently, for 1–2 minutes or until just soft. Add the raspberries, toss to combine and set aside.
- Preheat a grill (broiler) to high heat.
- Place the eggwhites in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Add the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, whisking for 30 seconds before adding more. Once all the sugar has been added, whisk for a further 6 minutes or until stiff and glossy.
- Scrape down the side of the bowl, add the vinegar and whisk for a further 2 minutes or until glossy and combined.
- Place the mixture in a piping bag fitted with a 2cm plain nozzle.
- Top the pastry with the fruit, reserving the juices. Pipe the meringue onto the fruit and place under the grill for 2–3 minutes or until just golden. Drizzle with the reserved juices to serve. Serves 8–10.
+ The filo will have puffed up but will deflate once it starts to cool.
Cooks tip: Be sure to use fresh, room temperature eggs, as this will help the eggwhites to become more voluminous when beaten.
There are no comments for this entry yet.