coconut caramel and banana cobbler
- 400ml can coconut milk, plus extra to serve (optional)
- ½ cup (70g) coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ cup (60ml) water
- 1 cup (130g) white spelt flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ cup (40g) shredded coconut
- ¼ cup (45g) cacao nibs
- ¼ cup (55g) raw caster (superfine) sugar
- 50g cold unsalted butter, chopped
- ¾ cup (180ml) buttermilk
- 3 bananas, halved lengthways
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Place the coconut milk, coconut sugar, vanilla and water in a 28cm ovenproof frying pan over high heat and cook, stirring, for 5–6 minutes or until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture has just come to the boil. Place 2 tablespoons of the caramel in a small bowl and set aside.
- Place the flour, baking powder, coconut, cacao nibs, caster sugar and butter in a medium bowl and rub the mixture together with your fingers to combine. Add the buttermilk and mix until just combined. Spoon the topping over the caramel and top with the bananas. Place the pan on a baking tray and cook for 30 minutes or until bubbling and golden. Drizzle with the reserved caramel and extra coconut milk, if using, and serve immediately. Serves 6.
There are no comments for this entry yet.