rosemary braised lamb shanks
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 x 350g lamb shanks, trimmed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 6 sprigs thyme
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 1 small sprig bay leaves
- ½ cup (125ml) red wine
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 1½ cups (375ml) beef stock
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- mashed potato, to serve (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based ovenproof shallow saucepan over high heat. Cook the lamb, turning occasionally, for 6–8 minutes or until dark golden brown. Remove and set aside.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan and cook for 4–5 minutes or until soft and golden. Add the thyme, rosemary, bay leaves and wine and cook for 2 minutes or until reduced. Add the tomato, stock and sugar. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer.
- Return the lamb to the pan, cover with a lid and cook in the oven, turning halfway, for 1½ hours. Remove the lid and cook, uncovered, for a further 20 minutes or until golden.
- Divide the lamb and mashed potato (if using) between plates to serve. Serves 4.
TIPS + TRICKS
+ To make a lamb ragu pasta, remove the meat from the bone and shred with two forks. Toss through the sauce and serve with your favourite pasta.
+ This recipe can be made up to two days in advance. Reheat over low heat before serving.
There are no comments for this entry yet.