five-spice chicken with crispy noodles
- 600g chicken thigh fillets, trimmed and chopped
- 2 teaspoons Chinese five-spice
- ¼ cup (60ml) oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons Chinese black vinegar
- ½ cup (70g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 375g packet fresh wonton noodles+
- Place the chicken, five-spice and 1 tablespoon of the oyster sauce in a large bowl and mix to combine. Set aside to marinate for 5 minutes.
- Place the vinegar and remaining oyster sauce in a small bowl and mix to combine. Add the flour to the chicken mixture and mix to coat.
- Half-fill a large saucepan with oil and place over medium heat until the oil reaches 180°C (350°F) on a deep-frying thermometer. Cook the chicken, in batches, for 2–3 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- Pour the vinegar mixture over the chicken and toss to coat. Set aside and keep warm.
- Carefully lower the noodles into the oil and cook for 1 minute or until crisp. Serve the chicken with the crispy noodles. Serves 4.
+ Fresh wonton noodles are from the Asian section of supermarkets and Asian supermarkets.
Try this: Serve the noodles with store-bought pickled chilli. You can also add 1 tablespoon of the pickled chilli into our oyster sauce mixture for extra spice. Serve with your favourite herbs – we’ve used micro (baby) radish leaves.
There are no comments for this entry yet.