salt and pepper squid
- 1 tablespoon Sichuan peppercorns
- ½ teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1½ teaspoons chinese five-spice powder
- 2 teaspoons sea salt flakes
- ½ cup (100g) rice flour
- 12 small squid hoods, cleaned, quatered and scored
- 2 eggwhites, lightly beaten
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- lemon wedges, to serve
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Add the peppercorns, chilli flakes, five-spice powder and salt and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant. Place the spice mixture in a small food processor and process to a rough powder. Mix half the spice mixture with the rice flour.
- Dip the squid in the eggwhite and toss in the spice mixture to coat. Heat the oil in a large frying pan or wok over high heat. Cook the squid, in batches, for 1 minute or until crisp. Drain on absorbent paper and toss with the remaining spice mixture. Serve with the lemon. Serves 6–8.
There are no comments for this entry yet.