rhubarb, pomegranate and vanilla cobblers
- 2 cups (300g) self-raising (self-rising) flour, sifted
- 200g butter
- ½ cup (110g) caster (superfine) sugar
- ⅔ cup (160ml) buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 pomegranates, seeds removed
- 750g rhubarb, trimmed and chopped into 5cm lengths
- ⅔ cup (150g) caster (superfine) sugar, extra
- 2 vanilla beans, split and seeds scraped
- ⅓ cup (25g) flaked almonds
- icing (confectioner’s) sugar and double (thick) cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Place the flour, butter and sugar in a food processor and process until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Gradually add the buttermilk and vanilla extract and process until the mixture just comes together. Add ⅓ of the pomegranate seeds and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Place the rhubarb, extra sugar, remaining pomegranate seeds and vanilla in a bowl and toss to coat. Divide between 4 x 1½ cup-capacity (375ml) skillets. Top with the cobbler mixture and sprinkle with the almonds. Bake for 35–40 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Dust with icing sugar and serve with cream, if desired. Serves 4.
There are no comments for this entry yet.