whiskey crème caramel
- 1⅓ cups (295g) caster sugar
- ⅓ cup (80ml) whiskey
- ⅓ cup (80ml) water
- 2 cups (500ml) milk
- 1 cup (250ml) single (pouring) cream
- 3 eggs
- 8 egg yolks, extra
- ⅔ cup (150g) caster sugar, extra
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 150°C. Place the sugar, whiskey and water in a medium saucepan over high heat. Bring to the boil and cook, without stirring, for 10–12 minutes or until the mixture is dark golden. Divide the caramel between 6 x 1-cup-capacity (250ml) pie tins or ramekins. Set aside.
- Place the milk and cream in a saucepan over medium heat and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat.
- Place the eggs, extra yolks, extra sugar and vanilla in a bowl and whisk until well combined. Gradually add the milk mixture, whisking to combine. Pour the mixture back in the saucepan and cook over low heat for 2–3 minutes or until the mixture is just warm. Divide the mixture between the tins, place in a water bath+ and cook for 35–40 minutes or until just set and with a slight wobble in the centre.
- Remove the tins from the dish and allow to cool completely before refrigerating for 3–4 hours or until chilled. Makes 6.
+ To make a water bath, place the tins in a baking dish and pour in enough boiling water to come halfway up the sides.
Tip: Crème caramel can be made a day ahead and kept refrigerated.
There are no comments for this entry yet.