coffee meringue brownie
- 200g dark chocolate, chopped
- 250g butter
- ⅔ cup (150g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 cup (175g) brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1⅓ cup (200g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 2 tablespoon cocoa
- 1 tablespoon coffee liqueur
- 4 eggwhites
- 1 cup (220g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornflour (cornstarch)
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon coffee liqueur, plus extra, to serve
- Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F). Place the chocolate and butter in a small saucepan over low heat and stir until smooth. Allow to cool slightly. Place the caster sugar, brown sugar, eggs, flour, cocoa and liqueur in a bowl with the chocolate mixture and mix until well combined.
- Pour into a lightly greased 11cm x 34cm loose-bottomed tart tin and bake for 25–30 minutes or until set. Allow to cool in tin. Preheat grill (broiler) to high.
- To make the coffee meringue, place the eggwhites in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar and whisk until thick and glossy. Add the cornflour, vinegar and coffee liqueur and whisk until well combined.
- Spoon the meringue over the brownie and grill (broil) for 1 minute or until golden. Slice and drizzle with the extra coffee liqueur to serve. Serves 8.
Tip: You could also use a small kitchen blowtorch, available
from specialty kitchenware stores, to toast the meringue.
There are no comments for this entry yet.