- 125g butter, softened
- ¾ cup (165g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 eggs
- 1¼ cups (185g) plain (all-purpose) flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup (125ml) milk
- 1 cup (220g) caster (superfine) sugar
- ¼ cup (60ml) water
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3 eggwhites
- yellow sanding sugar+ to serve
- Preheat oven to 160ºC (325ºF). Place the butter, sugar, vanilla and honey in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until light and creamy. Gradually add the eggs and beat until well combined. Add the flour, baking powder and milk and beat until just combined.
- Spoon the mixture into 12 x ½ cup-capacity (125ml) muffin tins lined with paper cases and bake for 20–25 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
- To make the meringue icing, place the sugar, water and cream of tartar in a saucepan over high heat and stir until sugar is dissolved. Bring to the boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Place the eggwhites in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until soft peaks form. While the motor is running, gradually add the sugar mixture and beat until thick and glossy.
- To assemble the cupcakes, use a 3cm round cookie cutter to cut a round from the centre of each cupcake. Cut each round in half to create wings. Place the icing in a piping bag with a 1cm plain nozzle and pipe into the centre of each cupcake. Top the icing with the wings and sprinkle with sanding sugar to serve. Makes 12.
+ Sanding sugar is made from large coloured sugar granules.
There are no comments for this entry yet.