chocolate cake with spiced syrup
- 110g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (150g) plain flour, sifted
- ¼ cup (25g) Dutch cocoa, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup (125ml) milk
- 1½ cups (330g) caster sugar
- ¾ cup (180ml) water
- 3 sticks cinnamon
- 6 star-anise
- 1 tablespoon cardamom pods
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Place the butter, sugar and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat for 10–12 minutes. Gradually add the eggs and beat well, scraping down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the flour, cocoa, baking powder and milk and beat until just combined. Spoon the mixture into a greased 20cm springform cake tin lined with non-stick baking paper and cook for 40–50 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.
- Place the sugar, water and spices in a saucepan over medium heat and stir until sugar is dissolved. Bring to a simmer, remove from heat and set aside for 10 minutes to infuse. Drizzle the syrup over the warm cake to serve. Serves 8–10.
There are no comments for this entry yet.