flourless carrot cake
with cream cheese icing
- 5 eggs, at room temperature
- 1½ cups (265g) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup (125ml) sunflower oil
- 3½ cups (440g) almond meal (ground almonds)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 400g carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 cup (75g) shredded coconut
- ½ cup (70g) roasted slivered almonds
- ½ cup (80g) currants
cream cheese icing
- 250g cream cheese, chopped
- ⅓ cup (55g) icing (confectioner’s) sugar mixture, sifted
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F). Line the base of a lightly greased 24cm springform tin with non-stick baking paper and set aside.
- Place the eggs, sugar and vanilla in an electric mixer and whisk for 15 minutes or until thick and tripled in volume.
- Place the oil, almond meal, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, baking powder, carrot, coconut, almonds and currants in a large bowl and mix well to combine. Fold through the egg mixture and spoon into the tin. Bake for 1 hour 20 minutes – 1 hour 25 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out with a few crumbs attached. Allow to cool completely in the tin before refrigerating for 2–3 hours or until firm.
- To make the cream cheese icing, place the cream cheese and sugar in an electric mixer and beat for 5 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, add the lemon juice and beat for a further 1 minute or until smooth. Run a small knife around the edge of the cake and remove from the tin. Spread with the icing to serve. Serves 8–10.
There are no comments for this entry yet.