soft vanilla sponge cake
- 12 eggwhites, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1¼ cups (275g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup (150g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- icing (confectioner’s) sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Place the eggwhites and cream of tartar in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk until soft peaks form. Gradually add ¾ cup (165g) of the sugar and the vanilla and whisk until thick and glossy. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl. Sift the flour and remaining sugar in a separate bowl. Sift a second time over the eggwhite mixture and gently fold through.
- Spoon into an ungreased 2.5-litre-capacity bundt tin and smooth the top with a palette knife. Cook for 35 minutes or until the cake comes away from the sides of the tin.
- Invert the tin onto a wire rack and set aside to cool for 1 hour. Using a butter knife, loosen the edge of the cake from the tin and remove. Dust with icing sugar to serve. Serves 10.
There are no comments for this entry yet.