lemon meringue pie
- 1½ cups (225g) plain (all-purpose) flour, sifted
- ½ cup (80g) icing (confectioner’s) sugar, sifted
- 125g unsalted butter, chilled and chopped
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon iced water
- 1½ cups (375ml) milk
- 1 cup (220g) caster (superfine) sugar
- ⅓ cup (50g) cornflour (cornstarch)
- 80g unsalted butter, chopped
- ⅔ cup (160ml) lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons finely grated lemon rind
- 6 egg yolks
- ¾ cup (220g) caster (superfine) sugar
- ¼ cup (60ml) water
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 eggwhites, at room temperature
- To make the sweet shortcrust pastry, place the flour, icing sugar and butter in a food processor and process until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. With the motor running, add the egg yolks and iced water and process until the dough just comes together. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and gently bring together to form a ball. Flatten into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour. Roll the pastry out between 2 sheets of non-stick baking paper to 5mm-thick. Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F). Line a 18cm (1 litre-capacity) pie tin with the pastry, trim the edges and prick the base with a fork. Refrigerate for 15 minutes or until firm. Line the pastry case with non-stick baking paper and fill with uncooked rice or baking weights. Bake for 15 minutes, remove the paper and weights and bake for a further 20 minutes or until the pastry is light golden. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- To make the lemon filling, place 1 cup (250ml) of the milk and the sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat and whisk until the sugar is dissolved. Bring to the boil. Place the cornflour and remaining milk in a small bowl and stir to combine. Pour into the milk and sugar mixture and whisk to combine. Add the butter and whisk until melted and combined. Add the lemon juice, lemon rind and egg yolks and cook, whisking continuously, for 3–4 minutes or until thickened. Pour the lemon mixture immediately into the pastry shell, smooth the top with a spatula and refrigerate for 2 hours or until set.
- To make the meringue icing, place the sugar, water and cream of tartar in a small saucepan over high heat and stir with a metal spoon until just combined. Bring to the boil, reduce heat to low and cook for 3 minutes. Place the eggwhites in an electric mixer and whisk until soft peaks form. While the motor is running, add the sugar mixture in a thin and steady stream and whisk for 1–2 minutes or until thick and glossy. Spoon the meringue over the lemon filling and grill under a preheated hot grill for 30–60 seconds or until golden. Serves 6–8.
+ Be sure to start making the lemon filling only after the pastry shell has been cooked, as you’ll need to pour it into the shell straight away.
There are no comments for this entry yet.