chickpea and broccoli soup
with pecorino croutons
- 2 cups (140g) coarse sourdough breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup (40g) finely grated pecorino
- 400g can chickpeas (garbanzos), rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 1kg broccoli, trimmed and sliced
- micro (baby) mint leaves and cracked black pepper, to serve
- Preheat oven to 220°C (425°F). Place the breadcrumbs, pecorino and half the chickpeas on a large oven tray lined with non-stick baking paper. Toss to combine. Drizzle with half the oil and cook for 6–8 minutes or until golden brown.
- While the breadcrumbs are cooking, heat the remaining oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add the onion,garlic and fennel and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes, or until softened. Add the stock and bring to the boil.
- Add the broccoli and remaining chickpeas and cook for 4–5 minutes or until the broccoli has softened. Remove from the heat and, using a hand-held blender, blend until smooth. Divide between bowls, top with the breadcrumb mixture and mint. Sprinkle with pepper to serve. Serves 4.
There are no comments for this entry yet.