crème fraîche-glazed cinnamon scrolls
- 1¼ teaspoons dried yeast
- 1/3 cup (80ml) lukewarm milk
- ¼ cup (55g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 3¼ cups (485g) plain (all-purpose) flour, plus extra for dusting
- ¼ teaspoon table salt
- 1/3 cup (80ml) crème fraîche
- 2 eggs
- 125g unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup (90g) brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, plus extra for dusting
- 50g unsalted butter, extra, melted
crème fraîche glaze
- 1 cup (160g) icing (confectioner’s) sugar, sifted
- ¼ cup (60ml) crème fraîche
- 2 teaspoons milk
- Place the yeast, milk and 2 teaspoons of the caster sugar in a small bowl and mix to combine. Set aside in a warm place for 5 minutes or until foamy.
- Place the flour, salt, crème fraîche, eggs, butter, the remaining caster sugar and the yeast mixture in the bowl of an electric mixer with a dough hook attached. Beat on low speed for 5 minutes or until the dough is smooth and elastic. Place in a lightly greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place for 1 hour or until the dough has doubled in size.
- While the dough is proving, place the brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and mix to combine. Set aside.
- Lightly grease 2 x 14cm ovenproof non-stick frying pans and set aside. Cut the dough in half and roll out each half on a lightly floured surface to make a 20cm x 30cm rectangle. Brush with the extra butter and sprinkle with the brown sugar mixture.
- Cut 1 rectangle into 5 x 4cm x 30cm long strips. Roll one strip up tightly into a round. Place on top of the next strip and roll up again. Repeat until you have one large scroll.
- Place the scroll into the prepared pan. Repeat with remaining dough to make a second scroll, and place into the remaining pan. Cover both pans with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place for 25–30 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Place the pans on a large baking tray and cook for 23–25 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.
- To make the crème fraîche glaze, place the icing sugar, crème fraîche and milk in a small bowl and stir for 1–2 minutes or until very well combined and slightly thickened.
- While the scrolls are still warm, drizzle over the crème fraîche glaze and allow to cool slightly. Dust with extra cinnamon to serve. Makes 2.
There are no comments for this entry yet.