coconut jam scones
- 3 cups (450g) self-raising (self-rising) flour, sifted
- ½ cup (125g) caster (superfine) sugar
- ¾ cup (60g) desiccated coconut
- 75g cold butter, chopped
- 1 cup (250ml) milk, plus extra, for brushing
- ½ cup (160g) blackberry, strawberry or raspberry jam
raw sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (355ºF). Place the flour, sugar and coconut in a bowl and mix to combine. Add the butter and use your fingertips to rub it into the flour mixture until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Make a well in the centre and pour in the milk. Use a butter knife to gradually mix the milk into the flour mixture until just combined.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and gently bring the dough together. Halve the dough and roll each piece out to a 35cm x 20cm rectangle, 1cm thick.
- Spread one of the pieces with the jam and sandwich with the other piece of dough. Use a 6cm round cutter to cut out 12 rounds.
- Place the scones in 12 x ½ cup-capacity (125ml) muffin tins lined with paper cases. Brush with extra milk and sprinkle with raw sugar. Bake for 18–20 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Makes 12.
There are no comments for this entry yet.