banana and peanut butter bread
- 125g butter, softened
- 1 cup (175g) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups mashed banana
- ½ cup (140g) crunchy peanut butter
- 1¾ cups (255g) plain (all-purpose) flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder, sifted
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of (baking) soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅓ cup (80ml) maple syrup
icing (confectioner’s) sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F). Place the butter, sugar and vanilla in an electric mixer and beat for 8–10 minutes or until pale and creamy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Gradually add the eggs and beat well to combine. Add the banana, peanut butter, flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon and maple syrup and stir to combine.
- Spoon the mixture into a 26cm x 11cm (2.5 litre-capacity) lightly greased loaf tin lined with baking paper. Bake for 85–90 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
- Cool in the tin for 20 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with icing sugar to serve. Serves 6–8.
I made this tonight for my husband and he loved it. Hint of peanut butter and not too sweet. I will be making this again.
Has anyone tried this with a fat other than butter?
Although it cracked on top - probably fan forced problem - it was moist and delicious and not over-sweet and I would make it again.
I have rarely made a really good cake in my life - but now I have a Stand Mixer I’m embarking on the pursuit of perfection. Thanks for the opportunity!
Love this! Possibly the best banana bread I’ve ever made. Great that it’s not super sweet