baked pumpkin and bacon risotto
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 rashers bacon (320g), rind removed and chopped
- 2 cups (400g) arborio rice
- 800g pumpkin, peeled, seeds scooped out, chopped into small pieces
- 5 cups (1.25 litres) chicken stock
- sea salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
- ½ cup (40g) finely grated parmesan
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).
- Place the oil in a big heavy-based ovenproof saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and bacon and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, for 6 minutes or until golden.
- Add the rice, pumpkin and stock and stir to combine.
- Cover the pan with a tight-fitting lid and carefully transfer it to the oven. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and take off the lid. Add the salt, pepper and parmesan and stir to combine. Continue stirring the risotto for about 2 minutes or until it thickens and any liquid is absorbed.
- Spoon the risotto into bowls and sprinkle with extra finely grated parmesan to serve, if you like. Serves 4–6
Photography: Chris Court
Great recipe. To make it even better, air fry the pumpkin cubes first. Cook bacon for a few minutes before the onion or chop the bacon quite small. Perfecto
Made this tonight. Delicious! However, next time I will roast the pumpkin first and stir it in towards the end. Then it caramelises rather than being boiled pumpkin! Also was just cooked at 40 minutes.