with cashew frosting
- 2½ cups (300g) almond meal (ground almonds)
- ¾ cup (120g) buckwheat flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 cups (480g) grated carrot
- 1 cup (100g) roughly chopped walnuts
- 1 cup (240g) firmly packed brown sugar
- ¾ cup (180ml) light-flavoured extra virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup (80ml) pure maple syrup
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups (300g) raw cashew nuts
- 3 tablespoons light agave syrup
- 5 tablespoons boiling water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- sea salt flakes
- To start the cashew frosting, place the cashews in a heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water. Set aside for 2–3 hours or until the cashews are soft.
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Line 2 x 20cm round cake tins with non-stick baking paper.
- In a large bowl add almond meal, buckwheat flour, baking powder, cinnamon, carrots, walnuts and sugar and mix to combine. Place the oil, maple, eggs and vanilla into a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and mix to combine.
- Pour the mixture into prepared tins, smoothing the tops of the cakes. Bake for 45 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Cool in tins for 10 minutes then turn out onto wire racks to cool.
- To finish the cashew frosting, drain the cashews. Place the cashews, agave syrup, water and pinch of salt into a blender and blend for 5 minutes or until smooth. Chill frosting until ready to use.
- To assemble, spread top of base with half the cashew frosting. Layer with other cake and top with remaining frosting. Refrigerate assembled cake for 30 minutes or until ready to serve. Serves 10-12
Photography: Chris Court
There are no comments for this entry yet.