broccoli, spinach and coconut soup
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil or light-flavoured extra virgin olive oil
- 1kg broccoli, finely chopped
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon (30g) finely chopped ginger
- 4 cups (80g) baby spinach leaves
- 3 cups (750ml) water
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 400ml can coconut milk
- ⅓ cup (50g) roasted cashews, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon white chia seeds
- Heat half the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, add 2 cups (170g) of the broccoli and cook, stirring, for 3–4 minutes or until slightly softened and lightly charred. Remove and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in the saucepan, add the leek, garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, for 3–4 minutes or until softened. Add the remaining broccoli, spinach, water and fish sauce. Cover with a lid and cook for 10 minutes or until the broccoli is tender. Add the coconut milk and cook for a further 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Using a hand-held blender, blend until smooth and creamy.
- Divide the soup between bowls and top with the charred broccoli, cashew and chia to serve. Serves 4.
donna hay team
Hi Kellie, a good vegetarian alternative to fish sauce is coconut aminos. You can find coconut aminos in all good health food stores or specialty stores. Happy cooking! the dh team
Can you recommend a vegetarian alternative to fish sauce?