- ½ cup (100g) sushi rice
- ¾ cup (180ml) water, plus extra, for brushing
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 nori (seaweed) sheets
- 1 tablespoon whole-egg mayonnaise
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into 1cm thick sticks
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers, cut into 1cm thick sticks
- soy sauce, to serve
- Place the rice in a sieve and rinse under cold water until the water runs clear. Place the rice and water in a saucepan over high heat and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 10 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat and spread over a shallow tray. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- While the rice is cooling, place the vinegar and sugar in a bowl and mix to combine. Sprinkle the rice with the vinegar mixture and mix gently to combine. Allow to cool completely.
- Place 1 nori sheet on a sushi mat and top with half the rice. Spread the rice evenly over the nori sheet, leaving a 3cm border at the top of the sheet. Spread 2 teaspoons of the mayonnaise over the rice. Place one-quarter of the cucumber sticks in the centre of the rice. Place one-quarter of the carrot sticks next to the cucumber. Top the cucumber with one-quarter of the carrot and the carrot with one-quarter of the cucumber to make a checkerboard pattern. Brush the border of the nori with water and use the mat to roll tightly. Press the border to seal. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Cut each roll into 4 and serve with soy. Serves 4.
There are no comments for this entry yet.