beetroot and feta burgers
- ½ cup (100g) wholemeal couscous+
- ½ cup (125ml) boiling water
- 2½ cups (250g) grated beetroot
- 1 small brown onion, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 egg
- 100g feta, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 125g store-bought hummus
- 4 wholemeal seeded bread rolls, halved 1 Lebanese cucumber, thinly sliced
- 100g snow pea (mange tout) tendrils
- 1 carrot, shredded
- Place the couscous and boiling water in a large bowl, cover with plastic wrap and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Once all the liquid has absorbed, fluff with a fork, add the beetroot, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, coriander, egg and feta, and mix to combine. Shape the mixture into 4 patties and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in large frying pan over low heat and cook half the patties for 10–12 minutes each side or until firm. Repeat with remaining oil and patties.
- To serve, spread the hummus on the base of each roll and top each with a patty, cucumber, snow pea tendrils and carrot, and top with the remaining roll half. Makes 4.
+ Wholemeal couscous is high in fibre and a good source of protein. Find it in supermarkets and at health food stores.
donna hay team
Hi Helen, We use raw beetroot to grate for this recipe. DH Team
Is this using raw or cooked beetroot?