thai chilli, basil and cashew squid stir-fry
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 long red chillies, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated palm sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped coriander stem and root
- 600g cleaned squid tubes, scored and cut into 6cm pieces
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced into wedges
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- ¼ cup (60ml) water
- 1 cup Thai basil
- 1 cup coriander leaves
- ¼ cup (40g) roasted cashews, chopped
- cooked brown rice noodles, to serve
- Place the garlic, chilli, sugar and coriander stem and root in a large bowl and mix to combine. Add the squid, toss to coat and set aside to marinate for 10 minutes.
- Heat a wok over high heat for 2 minutes or until smoking. Add the oil and heat for 30 seconds. Add the onion and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the squid mixture and cook, tossing occasionally, for 2 minutes.
- Add the tamari and water and cook for 1 minute or until the squid is cooked and the sauce is slightly reduced. Remove from the heat. Top with the basil, coriander leaves and cashews. Serve with noodles. Serves 4
Photography: William Meppem
Absolutely delicious dish, a real crowd pleaser, my Mother and my kids said that’s gorgeous Mum, you have to make that again. Will most definitely be doing it again.