asian beef and green tea noodle salad
with charred eggplant
- 1 tablespoon sea salt flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- ¼ cup (60ml) black vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 star anise, crushed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 800g beef eye fillet, trimmed and tied
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large eggplant (aubergine), chopped
- 1 eschalot (French shallot) finely chopped
- 200g green tea noodles, cooked following the packet instructions
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, peeled, deseeded and sliced
- micro (baby) purple shiso leaves and sliced green chilli, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Place the salt, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, sesame oil, vinegar, honey, star anise and cinnamon in a large bowl and mix to combine. Add the beef, toss to coat and set aside in the fridge for 1 hour to marinate.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over high heat. Remove the beef from the marinade, reserving the marinade, and pat the beef dry. Cook the beef, turning occasionally, for 6 minutes or until dark golden. Place on an oven tray and cook in the oven for 20 minutes for medium-rare or until cooked to your liking.
- While the beef is cooking, heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over high heat. Add half the eggplant and cook for 6 minutes or until dark golden. Place in a large bowl and repeat with the remaining eggplant.
- Add the reserved marinade to the pan and cook for 3 minutes or until slightly reduced. Strain through a fine sieve, place in a small bowl, add the eschalot and mix to combine. Place the noodles, lime juice and cucumber in a large bowl and gently toss to combine. Slice the beef and divide the salad and beef between bowls. Serve with the dressing, chilli and shiso leaves. Serves 6.
There are no comments for this entry yet.