black pepper fennel fish pies
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium bulb fennel, finely chopped
- 1½ cups (375ml) single (pouring) cream
- ¼ cup chopped chives
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 1½ teaspoons cracked black pepper, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1kg firm white fish fillets, cut into 3cm pieces
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 sheet all-butter frozen puff pastry, thawed
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F). Heat the oil in a large,non-stick frying pan over high heat. Add the fennel and cook for 5 minutes or until soft and golden. Add the cream, chive and lemon rind and bring to a simmer.
- While the fennel mixture is simmering, place the flour,
salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix to combine. Add the fish and toss to coat. Add fish to the cream mixture and remove from the heat.
- Divide the fish mixture between 4 x 1½ cup-capacity (375ml) ramekins. Brush the ramekin rims with the egg. Cut the pastry into rounds to fit the dishes and cut 2 slits in the centre of each. Top ramekins with the pastry, brush with egg and sprinkle with extra pepper. Place the pies on a baking tray and cook in the oven for 15 minutes or until the pastry is puffed and golden. Serve. Makes 4
We used snapper fillets, but you can use any firm white fish.
There are no comments for this entry yet.