caramel affogato with cinnamon churros
- 500ml store-bought caramel ice-cream
- 4 x 60ml (double) shots hot espresso coffee
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup (220g) white (granulated) sugar
- 100g unsalted butter, chopped
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 1 cup (150g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 3 eggs
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- To make the cinnamon churros, place the cinnamon and sugar in a shallow tray and mix to combine. Place the butter and water in a medium saucepan over high heat and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low, add the flour and beat with a wooden spoon for 2 minutes or until the mixture is smooth and comes away from the sides of the pan. Remove from the heat and add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition and until the mixture is glossy and smooth. Fill a large saucepan half-full with the oil and place over medium heat until the temperature reaches 180°C (350°F) on a deep-frying thermometer. Spoon the churro mixture into a piping bag fitted with a 1cm star-shaped nozzle. In batches, pipe 4cm lengths of the mixture into the oil, using kitchen scissors to snip them. Cook, turning occasionally, for 2–3 minutes or until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on absorbent kitchen paper. While the churros are still hot, toss them in the cinnamon sugar and thread them onto small metal skewers.
- Place scoops of the ice-cream into 4 x 2-cup-capacity (500ml) serving glasses. Top with churros and serve with the coffee. serves 4
There are no comments for this entry yet.