banana and berry tray cake
- 1½ cups (390g) mashed banana (about 4 bananas)
- ⅓ cup (40g) oat bran
- ¼ cup (60ml) milk
- ½ cup (125ml) maple syrup, plus extra for brushing
- 1 cup (250ml) vegetable or coconut oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup (160g) buckwheat flour+
- 1 cup (130g) white spelt flour+
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup (150g) blueberries, raspberries or blackberries
- Preheat oven to 160°C (320°F). Lightly grease a 20cm x 30cm slice tin, line with non-stick baking paper and set aside.
- Place the banana, oat bran, milk, maple syrup, oil, eggs, vanilla and cinnamon in a large bowl, mix to combine and allow to stand for 15 minutes.
- Sift in both the flours and the baking powder and mix to combine. Pour into the prepared tin and sprinkle with the blueberries. Bake for 45 minutes or until just cooked when tested with a skewer. Turn out onto a serving plate and, while the cake is still hot, brush with extra maple syrup. Slice and serve warm. Serves 15
+ You can find buckwheat and white spelt flour in your health food stores and most supermarkets.
Photography: Chris Court
this cake was super delicious and moist. I didn’t have buckwheat flour n used oat flour instead which worked just fine. I also added almost a whole punnet of blueberries into the mix n more on top. Great with cup of tea n my kids loved it too. Many thanks for a great site n amazing recipes