cheat’s chilli cashew
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely grated ginger
- ⅓ cup (100g/3½ oz) Asian chilli jam or paste
- ¼ cup (60ml/2 fl oz) fish sauce or coconut aminos
- ¼ cup (55g/2 oz) raw caster (superfine) sugar
- 500g (1 lb 2 oz) firm tofu, drained and crumbled (see cook’s note)
- ⅓ cup (80ml/2¾ fl oz) lime juice
- 12 baby cos (Romaine) lettuce leaves
- 2 cucumbers, chopped lengthways
- ¾ cup (110g/4 oz) roasted salted cashews, roughly chopped
- ½ cup (10g/¼ oz) Thai basil leaves
- ½ cup (6g/¼ oz) coriander (cilantro) leaves
- lime cheeks, to serve
- Place a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the oil, ginger and chilli jam and cook for 3 minutes or until fragrant. Add 2 tablespoons of the fish sauce, 2 tablespoons of the sugar and the tofu. Cook, stirring, for 4 minutes or until the tofu is heated through. Add ¼ cup (60ml/2 fl oz) of the lime juice and stir to combine.
- Place the remaining 1 tablespoon of each of the fish sauce, sugar and lime juice in a small bowl and mix to dissolve the sugar.
- Divide the lettuce, cucumber and cashews between serving plates and spoon the tofu into serving bowls. Top with the basil and coriander and serve with the dressing and lime cheeks. Serves 4
TIPS + TRICKS
+ You can swap the tofu for 500g (1 lb 2 oz) chicken or pork mince if you like. Meat will need more time in the pan than tofu, to be sure it’s cooked through.
Photography: Con Poulos
There are no comments for this entry yet.