- 1½ cups (375ml) milk
- 1 vanilla bean, halved and seeds scraped
- 10 egg yolks
- ⅓ cup (50g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 cup (160g) icing (confectioner’s) sugar, sifted
- ⅔ cup (160ml) single (pouring) cream, whipped
- ¼ cup (60ml) brandy
- Place the milk and vanilla bean and seeds in a medium saucepan over medium heat and bring just to the boil. Place the egg yolks, flour and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk on medium speed until combined. With the motor running, gradually add the milk mixture, whisking until smooth.
- Return the mixture to the saucepan
over low heat and cook, whisking, for 12–15 minutes or until thickened. Strain into a heatproof bowl, cover the surface with plastic wrap+ and refrigerate until cold.
- When ready to serve the custard, add the whipped cream and gently fold to combine. Add the brandy and stir to combine. Pour into a serving jug to serve. Makes 3½ cups
+ You can make the custard up to 3 days in advance, however add the whipped cream and brandy just before serving.
By placing some plastic wrap over the custard while chilling, you’ll prevent a ‘skin’ from forming on the surface.
There are no comments for this entry yet.