almond meringue with vanilla poached pear
- 150ml eggwhite (about 4 eggs)
- 1 cup (220g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornflour (cornstarch)
- ½ teaspoon white vinegar
- ½ cup (40g) flaked almonds
- 1 cup (250ml) single (pouring) cream
- ½ cup (125g) mascarpone
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
vanilla poached pears
- 3 cups (750ml) water
- ½ cup (125ml) lemon juice
- ¾ cup (165g) caster (superfine) sugar)
- 1 vanilla bean pod, halved
- 3 small pears, halved and core removed using a teaspoon
- Preheat oven to 150°C (300°F).
- Place the eggwhites in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk on high speed until soft peaks form. Add the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, whisking until each addition is dissolved before adding more. Once all the sugar has been added, scrape down the sides of the bowl and whisk for a further 10 minutes or until the mixture is thick and glossy.
- Place the cornflour and vinegar in a small bowl and mix until smooth. Add the cornflour mixture to the eggwhite mixture and whisk for 10 seconds or until combined.
- Shape the meringue mixture into 6 rounds on a baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper. Sprinkle with almonds.
- Reduce oven temperature to 120°C (250°F) and bake for 1 hour or until the meringues are dry to touch. Allow to cool completely in the closed oven.
- To make the vanilla poached pears, place a medium saucepan over high heat. Add the water, lemon juice, sugar and vanilla and stir to combine. Bring the boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the pears and cook for 10 minutes or until just tender. Remove the pears and allow to cool.
- Place the cream, mascarpone and vanilla in a bowl and whisk until soft peaks form.
- To serve, place the almond meringues on a serving platter and serve with whipped cream, vanilla poached pears and extra syrup, if desired. Serves 6
Photography: Con Poulos
There are no comments for this entry yet.