carrot cake muffins with spiced honey glaze
- 13 soft fresh dates (260g), pitted and chopped
- ½ cup (125ml) boiling water
- 2½ cups (375g) self-raising (self-rising) flour
- ½ cup (110g) caster (superfine) sugar
- ¼ cup (20g) desiccated coconut
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup (125ml) milk
- ½ cup (125ml) light-flavoured extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups (240g) finely grated carrot (about 2 carrots)
- 250g cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons caster (superfine) sugar, extra
spiced honey glaze
- ½ cup (180g) honey
- 1 tablespoon water
- ½ teaspoon mixed spice
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Grease 12 x ½-cup-capacity (125ml) muffin tins. Place the date and water in a medium bowl and allow to soak for 5–10 minutes or until combined.
- Place the flour, sugar, coconut and mixed spice in a large bowl and mix to combine. Add the egg, vanilla, milk, oil, carrot and the date mixture. Using a butter knife, gently mix until just combined.
- Divide half the muffin mixture between the tins, filling them halfway. Place the cream cheese and extra sugar in a medium bowl and mix to combine. Spoon 1 tablespoon of the cream cheese mixture into each tin and top with the remaining muffin mixture. Bake for 20 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Allow to cool in the tins for 2 minutes before placing on a wire rack to cool completely.
- While the muffins are baking, make the spiced honey glaze. Place the honey and water in a small non-stick frying pan over high heat and cook for 3 minutes or until syrupy. Add the mixed spice and stir to combine.
- Pour the warm glaze over the muffins to serve. Makes 12
There are no comments for this entry yet.