brown butter waffles
with whipped maple butter
- 200g unsalted butter, chopped
- 1¾ cups (260g) plain (all-purpose) flour, sifted
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder, sifted
- ½ cup (110g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1½ cups (375ml) buttermilk
- maple syrup, to serve
whipped maple butter
- 150g unsalted butter, chopped
- ⅓ cup (80ml) maple syrup
- To make the whipped maple butter, place the butter in a large saucepan over high heat and stir until melted. Cook for 4–5 minutes or until foamy and golden brown.
- Add the maple syrup and cook, stirring frequently, for a further minute or until slightly thickened. Transfer to a large bowl and refrigerate for 20–30 minutes or until the mixture just starts to firm.
- Remove from the refrigerator and whisk for 1 minute until pale and creamy. Set aside. To make the waffles, place the butter in a small frying pan over high heat and stir until melted.
- Cook for 3–4 minutes or until foamy and golden brown. Transfer the browned butter to a small bowl and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Place the browned butter in a large bowl, reserving 2½ tablespoons, add the flour, baking powder, sugar, egg and buttermilk and whisk to combine.
- Heat a waffle iron as directed by the manufacturer’s instructions. Brush the iron with 1 teaspoon of the reserved browned butter and pour ⅓ cup (80ml) of the buttermilk mixture onto the iron.
- Cook for 2–3 minutes each side or until golden brown. Repeat with the remaining mixture, brushing the iron with 1 teaspoon of the browned butter each time. Serve with the whipped maple butter and maple syrup. Makes 10
There are no comments for this entry yet.