grilled cheesy leek toast
- 30g butter
- 2 leeks, trimmed and sliced
- 30g butter, extra
- 1 tablespoon plain (all-purpose) flour
- ½ cup (125ml) milk
- ¼ cup (60ml) dark ale, such as stout
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot English mustard
- ½ cup (60g) grated cheddar
- 2 egg yolks
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 4 thick slices white bread
- Heat the butter in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add the leek and cook for 5–8 minutes or until soft and brown. Set aside.
- Melt the extra butter in a saucepan over low heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 3–5 minutes or until light golden. Gradually whisk in the milk and cook for 30 seconds or until thickened.
- Whisk in the ale, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, cheddar, egg yolks, salt and pepper and cook, stirring, for 3–5 minutes or until thickened slightly
- Top half of the bread with half of the leeks, then the remaining bread and leeks and the cheese mixture. Grill (broil) under a preheated hot grill for 1–2 minutes or until golden.
There are no comments for this entry yet.