maple baked beans
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 200g speck+ or flat pancetta, trimmed and chopped
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ cup (125ml) chicken stock
- 1 cup (250ml) tomato puree (sauce)
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 2 x 240g cans butter beans, drained and rinsed
- toasted sourdough ore rye bread, to serve
- Heat oil in a saucepan over high heat. Add the speck and cook for 5 minutes. Add onion and cook for 2 minutes or until browned. Add the mustard powder, tomato paste and Worcestershire and cook for 2 minutes. Add the sugar, maple syrup, stock, tomato purée, salt and pepper and cook for 5–8 minutes or until slightly thickened. Add the beans and cook for a further 2–3 minutes or until heated through. Serve with the bread. Serves 4.
+ Speck is smoked pork usually sold in a slab from delicatessens.
There are no comments for this entry yet.