spiced banana and almond scones
- 2 cups (320g) wholemeal self-raising (self-rising) flour, plus extra for dusting
- ⅓ cup (60g) rapadura sugar
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice
- 20g cold unsalted butter, chopped
- 320g banana, roughly chopped (about 2 bananas)
- 1⅓ cups (330ml) buttermilk
- ¼ cup (20g) natural flaked almonds
- creamed honey, to serve
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F). Place the flour, sugar and mixed spice in a large bowl and mix to combine. Add the butter and, working quickly, use your fingertips to rub the butter into the flour mixture until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the banana and stir to combine. Make a well in the centre, add the buttermilk and use a butter knife to gently mix the dough until almost combined.
- Line a large baking tray with non-stick baking paper and lightly dust with extra flour. Turn the dough out onto the tray. Using lightly floured hands, bring the dough together and flatten out into a 25cm long rectangle. Using a sharp knife, cut into 8 pieces. Sprinkle with the almonds and cook for 25–30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with creamed honey. Serves 8
There are no comments for this entry yet.