cardamom and coffee custards
- 2 cups (500ml) single (pouring) cream
- 8 cardamom pods, bruised+
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee
- 6 egg yolks
- ⅓ cup (60g) brown sugar
- double (thick) cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F). Place the cream, cardamom, vanilla and coffee in a medium saucepan over high heat and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Allow to cool slightly.
- Place the egg yolks and sugar in a medium bowl and whisk until thick and creamy. Pour the egg mixture into the cream mixture and whisk until well combined. Strain into a clean saucepan and place over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 4–5 minutes or until the mixture coats the back of a spoon.
- Pour into 4 x ¾ cup-capacity (180ml) ovenproof ramekins. Place in a baking dish and pour in enough boiling water to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake for 15–20 minutes or just set. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until set. Serve with cream. Makes 4.
+ Carefully bruise the cardamom pods with a pestle or a knife handle, taking care to point the blade away from you.
There are no comments for this entry yet.