crumbed sardines with tomato dressing
- 3 cups (210g) fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons shredded lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 200g sardines, butterflied+ and bones removed
- ¼ cup (35g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 400g vine-ripened tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 eschalots (French shallots), chopped
- ⅓ cup (80ml) olive oil
- ¼ cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- To make the tomato dressing, place the tomato, eschalot, oil, parsley, vinegar and garlic in a bowl and mix well to combine. Set aside.
- Place the breadcrumbs, lemon zest, parsley, salt and pepper in a bowl and mix well to combine. Press the sardines into the flour, dip into the egg and press into the breadcrumb mixture.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over high heat. Cook the sardines, in batches, for 1–2 minutes each side or until golden and crispy. Drain on absorbent paper. Serve with the tomato dressing. Serves 4–6.
+ Ask your fishmonger to butterfly the sardines for you.
There are no comments for this entry yet.