apple and almond cake
- 320g granny smith apples, peeled, quartered, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 1½ cups (195g) gluten-free flour+, sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder, sifted
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 125g unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup (40g) blanched almonds, chopped
- icing sugar, for dusting
- double (thick) cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Place the apples and one tablespoon of the sugar in a bowl and toss to combine. Set aside.
- Place the remaining sugar, flour, baking powder, mixed spice, vanilla, eggs and butter in a large bowl and mix to combine. Fold through half the apples.
- Spoon the mixture into a lightly greased 20cm round springform tin lined with non-stick baking paper and top with the remaining apples and the almonds.
- Bake for 1 hour 5 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes. Remove from the tin and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve with the cream. Serves 8.
+ You can find gluten-free flour in the health-food aisle of the supermarket.
Tip: Store the cake in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Hi!I made this lovely cake yesterday, besides looking so beautiful, it’s so tasty! Delicious..this recipe is to repeat, definitely!Thanks for sharing these simple but amazing recipes.
I made this last weekend and it was such a success! All gone in about 10 minutes! Thanks Donna