spiced apple cake
- ⅓ cup (75g) white (granulated) sugar
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 red apples, cored and chopped
- 1¼ cups (185g) self-raising (self-rising) flour
- ¾ cup (165g) caster (superfine) sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup (180ml) milk
- 125g unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Lightly grease a 20cm (2-litre-capacity) heavy-based ovenproof frying pan (skillet). Place the white sugar and 2 teaspoons of the cinnamon in a large bowl and mix to combine. Place 2 tablespoons of the cinnamon sugar in a small bowl and set aside. Add the apple to the large bowl, toss to combine and set aside.
- Place the flour, caster sugar, nutmeg, eggs, milk, butter, vanilla and the remaining 1 teaspoon of cinnamon in a medium bowl and whisk to combine. Place half the apple mixture in the base of the skillet, pour over the batter and top with the remaining apple. Sprinkle with the reserved cinnamon sugar. Place on an oven tray and bake for 30–35 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Serve warm from the pan. Serves 6–8
There are no comments for this entry yet.