chocolate pound cake
- 1 cup (100g) cocoa powder, sifted
- ⅔ cup (180ml) boiling water
- 250g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup (220g) caster (superfine) sugar
- ⅔ cup (120g) brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup (150g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 100g dark chocolate
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup (60ml) single (pouring) cream+
- Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F). Place the cocoa and boiling water in a bowl and mix until smooth. Set aside. Place the butter and both the sugars in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on high speed for 6 minutes or until light and creamy.
- Add the vanilla, eggs and cocoa mixture and beat until well combined. Add the flour and mix until just combined. Pour the mixture into a lightly greased 21cm x 10cm loaf tin lined with non-stick baking paper. Bake for 1 hour 10 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
- Cool in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out on to a wire rack to cool completely. To make the chocolate glaze, place the chocolate, vanilla and cream in a small saucepan over low heat and stir until smooth. Cool slightly before spreading over the cooled cake to serve. Serves 12.
I have made a couple of times now. Lovely and moist with that rich chocolate fudge taste. Keeps in an airtight container for a couple of days…..if it lasts that long!
donna hay team
Hi Michael, yes that’s correct. Happy baking! The DH team
I note that there is no baking soda/bicarb mentioned in the recipe. Is this correct?