classic apple crumble
- 5 medium Granny Smith (green) apples (900g), peeled, cored and cut into 2cm dice
- ½ cup (110g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- store-bought vanilla ice-cream, to serve
- 1½ cups (225g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- ¾ cup (165g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup (90g) rolled oats
- 225g unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Place the apple, sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon in a large bowl and mix to combine. Transfer to a 1.5-litre-capacity ovenproof dish.
- To make the crumble topping, place the flour, sugar, cinnamon, oats and butter in a large bowl and mix until just combined.
- Spoon the crumble mixture over the apple and place the dish on a large baking tray. Bake for 40–45 minutes, or until the crumble is golden and the apples are soft. Serve with vanilla ice-cream. Serves 6.
I made this with gluten free flour and it was amazing. Great recipe!
It was really delicious however I think the recipe calls for way too much butter in the crumble. I had a thick layer of butter around the edges and it didn’t crumble/cook properly, I only had a crumbly crust on top
This is a super easy recipe. Yet it was delicious. Next time I will reduce a bit more sugar. My whole family loved it. Thank you.
Absolutely delicious ! I added blueberries as well & brown sugar suggested by the previous comment. I wanted to give this recipe 5 stars , but it didn’t work . So my rating is definitely 5 ! So easy
Excellent easy recipe, we used brown sugar to replace the castor sugar and this gave it a nice caramel taste…