classic vanilla caramels
- 1¼ cups (310ml) double thick cream
- 2½ cups (550g) white (granulated) sugar
- 100g unsalted butter, chopped
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup (350g) golden syrup
- Line a lightly greased 20cm square tin with non-stick baking paper. Place the cream, sugar, butter, vanilla and golden syrup in a large saucepan over high heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture comes to the boil. Reduce heat to medium, insert a sugar (candy) thermometer, and cook, without stirring, for about 9–15 minutes or until the temperature reaches 124°C (255°F)+. Set aside to cool for
5 minutes, before carefully pouring the hot caramel into the prepared tin.
- Set aside to cool, at room temperature, for 8 hours or overnight, or until firm. Slice to serve. Makes 20
+ For the perfect caramel, the cooking time may vary depending on the stove top and size of saucepan, but it is essential to bring the caramel to the correct temperature for it to set properly.
donna hay team
Hi Anna, in that case, it is best to try and look for a cream that has a 48% fat content. Happy cooking! The DH team x
Hi! We do not have double cream here in the Netherlands, what could I use instead?greetings Anna