crème fraîche-glazed cinnamon scrolls
- 1¼ teaspoons dry yeast
- ⅓ cup (80ml) lukewarm milk
- ¼ cup (55g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 3¼ cups (485g) plain (all-purpose) flour, plus extra for dusting
- ¼ teaspoon table salt
- ⅓ cup (80g) crème fraîche
- 2 eggs
- 125g unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup (90g) light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, plus extra for dusting
- 50g unsalted butter, melted, extra
crème fraîche glaze
- 1 cup (160g) icing (confectioner’s) sugar, sifted
- ¼ cup (60g) crème fraîche
- 2 teaspoons milk
- Place the yeast, milk and 2 teaspoons of the caster sugar in a small bowl and mix to combine. Set aside in a warm place for 5 minutes or until foamy. Place the flour, salt, crème fraîche, eggs, butter, the remaining 2½ tablespoons of caster sugar and the yeast mixture in the bowl of an electric mixer with a dough hook attached. Beat on low speed for 5 minutes or until the dough is smooth and elastic. Place in a lightly greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place for 1 hour or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Place the brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Mix to combine and set aside. Lightly grease 2 x 14cm round heavy-based ovenproof frying pans (skillets).
- Cut the dough in half. Roll out 1 half on a lightly floured surface to make a 20cm x 30cm rectangle. Brush with half the extra butter and sprinkle with half the cinnamon sugar. Cut into 5 x 4cm x 30cm strips. Roll up 1 strip tightly into a round. Place on top of the next strip and roll up again. Repeat until you have 1 large scroll. Place the scroll into a pan. Repeat with the remaining dough, butter, cinnamon sugar and pan. Cover both pans with plastic wrap. Set aside in a warm place for 25–30 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Place pans on an oven tray. Bake for 23–25 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
- To make the crème fraîche glaze, place the sugar, crème fraîche and milk in a small bowl and mix for 1–2 minutes or until well combined and slightly thickened.
- While the scrolls are still warm, drizzle with the crème fraîche glaze and allow to set. Dust with extra cinnamon to serve. Serves 8
Photography: Chris Court
There are no comments for this entry yet.