dark chocolate truffles
with caramel crunch
- ⅔ cup (160ml) thick double cream
- ¾ cup (180g) firmly packed CSR Dark Brown Sugar
- ½ cup (110g) CSR Caster Sugar
- 50g unsalted butter
- ½ cup (175g) CSR Golden Syrup
- 200g dark chocolate, melted
- sea salt flakes, to serve
- ⅓ cup (70g) CSR Premium Coffee Sugar Crystals
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F). To make the caramel crunch, place the coffee sugar and water in a bowl and mix well to combine. Spoon the sugar mixture onto a baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden. Allow to cool on tray then break into small pieces and set aside.
- To make the truffles, line a 10cm x 21cm loaf tin with non-stick baking paper. Place the cream, dark brown sugar, caster sugar, butter and golden syrup in a saucepan over medium heat and stir until smooth. Bring mixture to a simmer and cook for around 15 minutes or until the mixture reaches 124°C (255°F) on a sugar thermometer. Set aside to cool for 5 minutes. Pour mixture into prepared tin and refrigerate for 3-4 hours or until set. Slice the caramel into 20 bars.
- Using two forks, dip each caramel into the melted chocolate, tapping off any excess, then place on a lightly oiled wire rack. Sprinkle with the caramel crunch and a pinch of sea salt flakes. Refrigerate until set, then serve. Makes 20
Tips + Tricks:
Dark brown sugar gives these truffles their deep caramel flavour – from the chewy and moreish inside, to its crunchy caramel sprinkle. They are well worth the effort!
Photography: William Meppem
There are no comments for this entry yet.