gingerbread heart garland
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup (90g) brown sugar
- ⅔ cup (230g) golden syrup
- 2½ cups (375g) plain (all-purpose) flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of (baking) soda, sifted
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- Place the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat for 6–8 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl, until pale and creamy. Add the golden syrup, flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and mixed spice and beat until the mixture just comes together to form a smooth dough.
- Divide the dough in half and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Roll each piece of dough out between two sheets of non-stick baking paper to 5mm thick and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F). Using a 3.5cm heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out 80 hearts, re-rolling the dough as necessary.
- Using the tip of a 3mm piping nozzle (or a skewer), cut a hole from the top of each heart. Place on large lightly greased baking trays lined with non-stick baking paper and bake for 12–15 minutes or until golden and firm.
- Allow to cool slightly before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Thread onto twine or ribbon to hang. Makes 80.
There are no comments for this entry yet.