hot cross cookies
- 125g butter, softened
- 1 cup (175g) brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
- 2½ cups (375g) self-raising flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- ⅓ cup (80ml) milk
- ½ cup (80g) sultanas
- 1 cup (160g) icing (confectioner’s) sugar, sifted
- 1 tablespoon boiling water
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Place the butter and sugar in an electric mixer and beat for 8–10 minutes or until pale and creamy. Gradually add the eggs and vanilla, beating well after each addition.
- Add lemon rind, flour, cinnamon, mixed spice, milk and sultanas and beat until a smooth dough forms. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until firm. Roll tablespoons of the dough into balls and place on lightly greased baking trays lined with non-stick baking paper. Bake for 12–14 minutes or until light golden. Allow to cool on trays.
- To make the icing, place the icing sugar and water in a bowl and mix until a paste forms. Place the mixture in a piping bag fitted with a 3mm plain nozzle and draw a cross on each cookie. Allow to dry on a wire rack. Makes 30.
I’ve made these every Easter for approximately the past 8 years- a family favourite