marmalade bread and butter pudding
- softened butter, for spreading
- 8 thick slices bread
- 1 cup (340g) marmalade
- 2 cups (500ml) milk
- 1 cup (250ml) single (pouring) cream
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup (110g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
- ¼ cup (40g) currants
- 2 tablespoons Demerara sugar
- custard, ice-cream or double (thick) cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 160ºC (320ºF). Butter the bread slices, spread half with marmalade and sandwich with remaining slices.
- Cut in half and arrange in 2 x 3 cup-capacity (750ml) ovenproof dishes. Place the milk, cream, eggs, caster sugar and vanilla bean and seeds in a bowl and whisk to combine. Stir in the currants and pour over the bread. Allow to soak for 1–2 minutes. Sprinkle over the Demerara sugar and place in a large deep baking dish. Add enough boiling water to come halfway up the sides of the dishes. Bake for 1 hour 5 minutes or until just set. Serve with custard. Serves 6.
There are no comments for this entry yet.