one-bowl vanilla cake
- 125g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1½ cups (225g) self-raising (self-rising) flour, sifted
- 1 cup (220g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup (125ml) milk
- Place the butter, flour, sugar, vanilla, baking powder, eggs and milk in a large bowl and whisk until well combined.
- Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F). Lightly grease a 20cm round cake tin and line with non-stick baking paper. Pour the mixture into the tin, smooth the top and bake for 55 minutes – 1 hour or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Slice to serve. Serves 8
donna hay team
Hi Lavanya, Yes, you can use this cake as a base for rainbow cake. Happy baking! DH Team
Would you recommend using this recipe as a base for a rainbow cake?
Tried this as cupcakes (makes 12). They tasted good but sunk in the middle. Next time will try baking at 180C, I think that might help.