sponge cake with cream and jam
- ⅔ cup (100g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup (110g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 75g unsalted butter, chopped, melted and cooled
- 1 cup (250ml) single (pouring) cream
- blackberry and vanilla chia jam (see recipe in step 4)
- icing (confectioner’s) sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Lightly grease 2 x 20cm round shallow cake tins and line with non-stick baking paper.
- Sift the flour and baking powder 3 times and set aside. Place the eggs and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk on high speed for 12–15 minutes or until pale, thick and tripled in volume. Sift half of the flour mixture over the egg mixture and, using a large metal spoon, gently fold to combine. Repeat with the remaining flour mixture. Add the butter and gently fold to combine.
- Divide the mixture between the tins and gently smooth the tops with a palette knife. Bake for 14–18 minutes or until the sponges are springy to the touch and come away from the sides of the tins. Turn out the cakes onto wire racks, cover with tea towels and set aside to cool completely.
- Whisk the cream until soft peaks form. Spread 1 sponge with the jam, top with the cream and sandwich with the remaining sponge. Dust with icing sugar to serve. Serves 6.
tips + tricks
+ Covering the baked sponges with a tea towel ensures they do not dry out.
There are no comments for this entry yet.