sticky date pudding
with butterscotch sauce
- 340g fresh dates, seeded and chopped
- 1½ cups (375ml) boiling water
- 1½ teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 150g unsalted butter, chopped
- 1 cup (175g) brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1½ cups (225g) self-raising flour
- 80g unsalted butter, chopped
- 1½ cups (265g) brown sugar
- 1 cup (250ml) single (pouring) cream
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Place the dates, water and bicarbonate of soda in a medium bowl and set aside for 5 minutes. Place the date mixture, butter, sugar and eggs in a food processor and process until well combined. Sift the flour over the date mixture and process until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a lightly greased 20cm square cake tin lined with non-stick baking paper and cook for 55–60 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.
- To make the butterscotch sauce, place the butter and sugar in a medium saucepan over high heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Gradually add the cream, stirring to combine. Bring to the boil and cook for 6–8 minutes or until thickened slightly.
- Slice the sticky date pudding into squares and serve warm or at room temperature, drizzled with the butterscotch sauce. Serves 6–8.
+ For a coffee sticky date pudding, add 1 tablespoon of instant coffee granules in with the dates in step 1.
+ For a salted caramel sticky date pudding, add ¼ teaspoon salt flakes to the butterscotch sauce. Sprinkle with extra salt to serve.
+ You can freeze the pudding (before saucing) – just wrap in non-stick baking paper and freeze in an airtight container for up to one month. Simply reheat at 160°C when read to serve.
donna hay team
Hi Megan, we haven’t tested a whipped version of the butterscotch so not sure how it would work. It might go a bit grainy. But you could make a buttercream icing and add the cooled butterscotch to it. Let us know how you go!
Could you whip the butterscotch sauce as a cake filler?
This cake was a hit in my home. Everyone just loved it. I did make it GF. I just have to restrain myself from making it too often . Thanks DH